Battery Energy Storage Systems For Grid Applications Training
November 28-30, 2018 – Under the USAID’s GTG-RISE assistance to U.S. Energy Association and in partnership with the POSOCO, a three-day boot camp training on battery energy storage system (BESS) for grid applications was organised on November 28-30, 2018 at NRLDC, New Delhi, India, for system operators, generators, all State Load Dispatch Centers (SLDCs) and other relevant stakeholders.
At the inaugural session, Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of POSOCO, Mr. K. V. S. Baba, highlighted the importance and requirement of storage system for renewable integration. He further added that high responsive storage like BESS will help reduce the curtailment of renewables without losing efficiency and enhance power reliability. During the training, international experts from Innolith AG, Southern California Edison (SCE)-USA, ICF and Fluence Energy shared their experiences and learnings on stationary energy storage system technologies, grid applications and market perspectives to support Variable Renewable Energy integration, transmission and distribution (T&D) deferrals and grid balancing. Speaking at the closing session, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Power, India, Ghanshyam Prasad, acknowledged the relevance of BESS in the Indian power system and shared the vision of Government of India on renewable integration and storage system. The three-day workshop brought together more than 60 participants from different regional/state load despatch centers, transmission utilities and system operators from various states of India including PGCIL, BBMB Chandigarh, and PSTCL.
- Session 1 Battery Energy Storage Systems Overview
- Session 2 Policy and regulations governing BESS for grid support applications – I
- Session 3 Moderated discussion – Policy examples from international markets and applicability for India
- Session 3 Moderated discussion – Policy examples from international markets -II
- Session 4 (Part 1) Economic valuation of BESS for grid support applications
- Session 4 (Part 2) Economic valuation of BESS for grid support applications
- Session 5 (Part 1) Battery Energy Storage System Utility Perspective
- Session 5 (Part 2) Battery Energy Storage System Utility Perspective in California
- Session 6 Grid Applications of BESS
- Session 7 Battery Technologies and Pricing Trends
- Session 8 Case Study – Innolith GridBank for Frequency and Voltage Regulation Services for PJM